St. Thomas More Cathedral School believes that teaching Fine Art provides a variety of benefits for its students.
Through art, children can develop an awareness, understanding, and appreciation of the order and beauty of God’s creation and of man-made works of art. Art is a visual language that can be read and understood by children as an important part of their response to beauty in God’s created world. Each student is encouraged to fulfill his/her creative potential through the development of their God-given artistic talents.
- Allows children to explore and nurture their God-given abilities.
- Establishes a context for critical and creative thinking.
- Provides a means to communicate feelings and ideas through the production of art.
- Is delivered sequentially to establish a foundation for students to acquire knowledge and skills.
- Includes opportunities for students to view, discuss, analyze and critique art.
- Enables children to learn about the cultural, social and historic context of art.
- Provides students with the opportunities to develop a level of technical mastery and control over materials by using the elements of art and the principles of design.